There are two phases to detoxing, phase one where the toxin are converted from fat soluble to water soluble and phase two where the now water soluble toxins are excreted from the body. Often when we go on a detox phase one happens much quicker than phase two which can result in headaches and a general feeling of unwell, as we are breaking toxin down faster than we can excrete them.
Grapefruit helps to slow phase one down and avoid those ill feeling. Grapefruit along with fennel are high in vitamin C and aid digestion. Avocados contain lots of antioxidants including glutathione, which aids the liver in removing toxins.
Shaved fennel, avocado and grapefruit salad
- 1 ruby red grapefruit sectioned
- 1 avocado peeled pitted and sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb chop off top and bottom
- ½ cup of fresh basil
- ½ a lemon
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan pink rock salt and pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the fennel and combine with avocado, grapefruit segments and basil.
- In a separate bowl squeeze the lemon and mix with olive oil. Pour this dressing over the salad and season with salt and pepper to taste.
This is a gorgeous detox salad shared with us by Caroline Zanelli from Bounce Rehab.
If you love this recipe then check out: 10 Delicious Foods Rich In Antioxidants